Wednesday, April 9, 2008

New Finds

For some reason, I have seem to be in some sort of funk this month. Usually, I love April because the flowers start to bloom, it's getting warmer, our wedding anniversary and my birthday. All good things but so far, I am not feeling it. So, in an effort to feel more anything but blah, I have been wanting to shop. Oh, what a good little shopper I am! Shop, shop, shop, shop, shop! Isn't it fun when you find the best little treasure or that perfect something?? I know you girls know what I am talking about.
This month, I found a few favorites while thrifting. (Thrifting sounds so much fancier than saying shopping at the DI. I just found this interesting article about how Desert Industries came to be.) I found lots of little things, but here are my favorites:
  • This vintage material. It was in a bag that had some natural colored canvas and some really loud 70's floral for just $3. I really liked the colors and the design and it wasn't until I came home that I discovered the border. I think it is cute, but but doesn't the girls bonnets look a bit more like duck heads. Duck headed maidens or bonnet wearing maidens. What do you think?

  • How can 50 cents make your life so much happier? When you buy this darling pattern! I love how it wraps and that it is reversible. How fun! I am excited to try it out for Mia. It's marked size 7 so it might be a while. I want to make one and see how it fits. It's marked "easy cut - easy sew" so it shouldn't be to tricky.

  • This cute tin wall flower bucket. It still had the price tag on it from J&J Nursery, a fancy dancy garden shop. Originally $44.99 (though I really doubt any one would pay that much for it) mine for only $2. Added the greenery and it makes a very cute new spring door hanger.

Speaking of the front door, it's desperately in need of new paint. Ever since we bought the house, I thought that I would paint it black but now, I am leaning towards a pop of color. What if my door was say, springy green similar to the bucket there? Opinions?

And of course, today is my darling niece Lauren's birthday. She is so stinkin' adorable!! She is so fun to be around. Ryan and I got married the day after her birthday so of course, the day before the reception, my family decorated the church all day. It was beautiful and they did a lot of work and of course, were there late. Lauren was there with her parents and didn't complain even though it was her birthday. She is wonderful like that. Her big sister Kaylin wrote a nice post about her today found here. Kaylin is pretty cool too. Happy Birthday Laursy! We love you!!

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Ooh. I love that little Dutch girl fabric. What are you going to use it for?

And, a few years ago I painted my front door bright blue and I LOVE it. I love telling people, "We're the fourth house on the left with the bright blue door -- can't miss it."

And, I've had the blahs, too. I think it is because of the icky weather. Icky icky icky. It does NOT feel like spring.

Sarah and Jack said...

LOL They do sort of look like ducks, but they are darling!

I think if the rest of the outside of the house is fairly neutral, you should paint the door whatever color you fancy.

Sharmyn said...

Umm how about green? And will you make me one of those reversable dresses? I love it!

Jess said...

I think that pattern looks so fun! make two so we can have one too.. hee hee... I really do love it!
Happy Anniversary.. I hope you have a fabulous day.. and oh yeah.. Why's you make me so Jealous?

Kaylin said...

Happy Anniversary today! What year are you on? I think I would love your front door green. It would love pottery-barn cottage-ish. (Like my descriptions!)
They look like ducks- I saw the picture b4 I read your post and I thought in my head "What is that? A duck or a girl?" lol.

Kaylin said...

I meant "it would look" not "it would love" like I wrote! hehe.

Dawn said...

GREAT finds! I love it all! The door would look good green, maybe you could do like a bright green. The good thing about it being a small surface you could always paint it again if you don't like it.

Mary Beth said...

That pattern is really adorable!!