Growing up, birthdays were a huge deal in our house. We looked forward to being completely entertained and spoiled all day long. I remember my mom making breakfast in bed served on the "You are special today" plate, lots of singing - made up songs are always the best, Mom renting me a favorite movie to watch after school with popcorn and gummy bears, making my favorite dinner and a beautiful cake. It was always grand and always fun and who doesn't love to be spoiled? As we have grown up, moved out and had our own families we have continued some traditions, others lost, and some new traditions made but we haven't lost the birthday song. Oh no, it's has only improved over the years. The best "singer" in our family, hands down, is
Sharmyn. All day long she will call just to sing you another rendition of birthday songs. It's so hilarious and I love every second of it. Today, I seemed to miss everyone of
Sharm's calls. The only thing that makes it okay that I missed these calls are all of the messages that I get to keep. Several amazing, original songs were created today. You see,
Sharmyn has this special talent of making up songs on the spot and she is most definitely gifted. Thank you
Sharmyn for all of your calls and songs! They make me so happy! I think that the yodeling song was my favorite of the day!

Another tradition is that everything that you do during your birthday day, has to be explained as if it was some sort of spectacular birthday celebration. For example, my celebration started off with getting Jake out to school and a washing dishes! Later that day, we went shopping with all the customers that came out shopping for my birthday. Everything is a birthday something when it's your birthday, no matter how mundane and
un-birthday it might be.
Ryan grilled us a wonderful dinner. Steak and asparagus that was so tasty. (Side note, I actually dislike steak in general but
love the way Ryan makes steak. I only like his and no others. He knows just how I like it! Odd, I know!)


The kids made me birthday cards tonight. They were so cute asking me not to peak but coming over and having me pick my favorite animal or favorite fish. They created a birthday card masterpieces and were very proud of themselves. They were more than excited to give them to me. I enjoyed their excitement and their cards, a candy bar that Jake bought for me with his own money, a pretty silver bracelet and as always, a great card for Ryan. He finds the best cards and writes the nicest things in them.

We moved onto the birthday cake which was yummy fruit pizza. I love fruit pizza! I love the strawberries, kiwis and the orange zest sauce.
Mmmmm!! Yum!! We didn't have 31 candles of course, so the kids made a three and a one out of several candles. They sang me a song and blew out the candles when Mia proclaimed "This birthday is the best birthday I ever had for you!!".
Mom, Dad and Colin came over late tonight and spoiled me. It was so fun to have them over. I am happy that we live close to them. Overall, it was a good birthday I think. I am grateful for my family who loves me and all the calls that I got and the special songs sang just for me. Thank you everybody!! I really loved it!

And finally, of course, a very Happy Birthday to
Megan!! No, not me silly.
Jessica's Megan. She was born on my birthday and as Jess puts it, just needed her name to be Megan. She's an adorable spunky little girl that we all love to bits!
5 comments:
Hapde Burfday!
Happy birthday!!! Sorry I didn't call you, I thought it was today!! You are the cutest, funnest aunt ever! I love you so very much! Muah!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm glad you had a nice day! I like that you put a special birthday twist on everything you do on the big day. Like I washed b-day dishes, yea!! You are funny, love you girl!
I only have yodels for you. I LOVE these pictures of you! Wish I could have had a slice of that birthday fruit-pizza, the cookie part looks espescially yummy. Not burnt a bit! tee hee
okay my favorite is when Mia said it was the best Birthday she ever had for you. That is SO Mia! I love the pictures, they're all very cute. I STILL love that My Megan was born on your birthday. do you remember when I called you at like 10:20 pm to tell you that I did it? I was so excited, and She was a "Megan" from the beginning... She just is....
I wish I could hear Sharmyn singing. she is so fun..
Love you so much.. Glad you had a good birthday..
Post a Comment