Monday, October 8, 2007

Ahhhh......now what?

Did you know that I am not one of those mother's that has thought every last detail of their children's lives? I know. Hard to imagine. I have a daughter and I didn't foresee that someday, she would want to have her ears pierced. Really, big shocker right? And, that I haven't decided when the appropriate age should be for her to get them pierced. Huh? Wha?

In my family, my mom didn't want us to pierce our ears. Obviously that didn't stop 3 out of 4 sisters and one brother from getting them done when we got older. Then said sisters and brother grew up and had children and they let them get their ears pierced but they had to be a certain age. Seems like one family is 12 years old and another is 16 years old. And on Ryan's side of the family, no one has them. Anyway, I thought that I didn't really care and I would take her to get them done when she really wanted them. Now she is asking and I don't really know if it is a good idea. On one hand, if she gets them now, I will have to take care of them for her but, she might be less queasy and scared about it since she really doesn't know what is involved. On the other hand, she doesn't really know what is involved, but she is not stupid and it might be pretty scary for her and she might not let me touch them and then it could become a big problem. And another hand, she could not care about them and have holes in her perfect little body which she does not wear earrings in. And yet another hand, what if she grows up and the hole is in a weird place and it's off center. Wait! I don't have that many hands.

Right now, my plan of action is ignore it and hope it goes away. La-la-la-laaah. I'm in my own little world. I know that I am going to have to decide sooner or later. Should I let her? Should I not? Should she be 30? Will she take care of them when she is older? Will she love them now?

**My next post will be #100!! Wooowwwee! Come back because I am having a "Wooohoo!! I made 100 posts aren't I special!" contest. There will be prizes!
You don't want to miss!**

6 comments:

Jess said...

awwww, just get em pierced.. no big deal..... or is it?

Jason McGrew said...

Pierce them!!!

Sharmyn said...

Big deal! I say follow VaLynn's lead on this one. Sixteen is a more mature age. In the meantime there are lots of fun substitutes for her and that will make it all the more exciting!

Anonymous said...

Here is my opinion. Talk to her about it. Tell her what will be involved, and that you will have to help her take care of them, or she won't be allowed to wear her earrings anymore. That way she will hopefully understand there is something required of her. Reflecting on my own youth, I absolutely hated the fact that I had to wait until I reached a certain 'age of maturity'. Stupid I thought. Too many people were trying to make a decision for and about MY body that I had already made for MYSELF.
I think that denying and being strict over something that techinically the Prophet has given the 'ok' for one set of earrings, is unnecessary when the person who wants them has decided what they want.

I say talk to her in detail about what would happen, what would be required, and the consequences if she doesn't follow the rules. Then simply, let her decide.

Anonymous said...

Fun! Earrings on little girls are SO stinking cute!!
I already pre-warned my dad (because he is against piercing until adulthood) to be prepared for my daughter's ears to be pierced the day they turn 3 months old! (That is the earliest they can pierce.)

Anonymous said...

If you do it, take her to the doctor office and get the medical ones...do you have that there? Ummm, I like the idea of waiting. My sister took me to get mine when I was 5 and I didn't take care of them and had big problems. My dad had to pull them out with plyers and they had to get re-pierced! Not fun!!!