Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

I can't believe that it is already time for school to start. Where did the summer go?? The poor kids and I are still on a very relaxed summer schedule, so waking up this morning was a bit of a chore. Once awake, Jake was bubbling with energy preparing for the day. While I was getting ready myself, I heard Jake in talking to Mia about school. "You get to go to school today! When you go to school you will get smarter and smarter and then you will be in 2nd grade and have my teacher from last year too. You will love her! We'll walk together too!" It was too cute to have him in her room getting her excited too.


Finally, seven minutes later than I planned, we were rushing to school. I wasn't sure what line Jake needed to be in for his class. We walked around looking for his line with the neighbor boy looking for their lines. No luck. Poor Jake had tears well up in his eyes feeling stressed that he was messing up the first day. Finally, we just ducked inside to find his class already seated. It took a few minutes for Jake to compose himself but at least he wasn't the last one in. Coming home, he was thrilled to tell me about his day. Disappointed that he hadn't made any new friends yet, happy to see old friends from last year and proud of his pencil top eraser he won playing Name Bingo in class.


Kindergarten doesn't actually start this week, we had a 1/2 hour orientation this morning. It was good for us to see how long it takes for Mia to get ready in the morning. She choose one of her two new outfits, got her hair done and insisted on lip gloss. I am thankful for this week to get her used to waking up earlier and getting out the door. She's never had to do this before and I can see that I need an extra 10-15 minute for her.


Mia's teacher is adorable! I am thrilled for Mia. Mia was shy and unsure of her new surroundings. All of her neighborhood friends are in the other class. She was happy to see a familiar face from church. She followed the rules, enjoyed a story and drew a picture of herself. It was especially fun for her when she got to choose a balloon for finishing her picture. Walking home with her hand in hand, she told me that she thought that her teacher was funny and was excited to be there. Kindergartner's are so adorable.




I am looking forward to helping in their classes this year. I hope that I can swing over there a few times while Ryan is home. I really enjoy seeing them in their environment, seeing how they learn and interact.


So even though this school year has taken me by surprise, I am so excited for them to start. I love school and I hope that they love it too.

7 comments:

Jess said...

What a precious little girl, and what a precious little moment hand in hand with your daughter. Its not fair making those kindergartners wait a whole week! Jake will fall into the swing of things soon..

momof4azkids said...

Your children are DARLING! Thanks for stopping by to see my spray painted projects. I actually rollered the table-top, but sprayed the legs of the table and the chairs. I did it a few months ago, and so far...so good. I made sure to sand and prime everything first though. Good luck with your table!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

She looks so big and yet so young--I think it's the juxtaposition of the lip gloss with that sweet little face. She's just adorable!

I'm glad each of them ended up having a good first day today. That is great that you're close enough to walk to school.

~ Sarah

Darlene said...

Thanks for visitng my blog. Your children are just too cute. Hope they had a great day!

Marrdy said...

Such darling kids! And how fun that they are excited for school.

Dawn said...

They look so BIG and CUTE! I'm glad Jake was able to calm down. Poor little guy, that's stressful! I agree with Jess your hand in hand moment was precious!

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.