Friday, January 4, 2008

Organize

It amazes me how quickly I want Christmas down. I thought for sure that I would keep it up until New Years, but I surprised myself by taking down most of it the day after Christmas. I left up a few snowmen and snowflakes and of course the tree. It's tradition to have the tree up for New Years.

I realized that I wanted the decorations down and out of the way so I could get on to getting the house in order. Notice that I didn't say back in order. Sure, there was a tiniest bit of organization going on, but not enough. Three days after Christmas, Ryan and I cleaned out our spare room and donated a whole car full of stuff that has just been sitting around since we moved in. The spare room has such a good start on it now and I just want to continue everywhere that I look. I have been cleaning out drawers here and there, making plans for each room in my mind, looking at organizational bins and baskets and all that fun stuff. Instead of feeling like I was getting a handle on it, it's been getting overwhelming. I don't have a plan. I keep jumping from one place to the next wanting to get it all done now. Finally sitting down last night and just wrote down a room at a time. It's a start. A good reference to have. I have known for a while that I can buy bins and shelves and baskets forever and ever and ever and they won't do me any good until I just plain out get rid of this excess that's plaguing our house.

I am really good at justifying keeping items. For now, I am really trying to be tough on myself and get rid of items that have been sitting around since we moved. Items that haven't been used or put in a home because I just don't know what to do with them but somehow, they seem invaluable. I dream of the perfectly put together, organized home. This won't happen with three kids, but at least I can do what I can. I want this out of the way so I can stop fussing over the messy house and feel like I can start a project. Sewing or scrapbooking or anything really. Maybe I will actually finish painting Mia's desk?

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Way to go Megan!!! Let me know when you figure out the best, most efficient way to organize and purge the stuff you don't use! I'm sooo bad at that. Good job, you can do it....well keep on doing it.

Sharmyn said...

Yay Megs! I'm so proud of you for cleaning out that spare room! I've got the same bug you do - Husband and I are throwing something away everyday!

Jess said...

yeah Meg.. get that place clean baby!