Friday, January 25, 2008

Fighting the Winter Blues

This winter has seemed to be extra gray and gloomy. Snowing consistently and not melting away in between storms. Yesterday, as I was walking to a neighbors house, I was struck with how quiet it was and how ominous the crows sounded. There are a lot of crows here right now. Dozens fly away when we open the front door. It's strange that they evoke such a dark feeling. The combination of the gray days and the crows just feels even more depressing. Everyday, I keep struggling with the overwhelming feeling to do nothing. Not clean, not do laundry, not make breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks for my family, not get dressed. No motivation for anything. Except shopping.


I really, really want to shop for anything and everything. I think it's because the excitement of something new and fresh and shiny. The hopes of finding the deal of the day and dreaming of all the usefulness this "stuff" will bring to my life even though it's just more clutter for me to take care of. My mind turns to bigger items. New sofas, bookshelves, rugs, and pretty accessories. For example, while window shopping last week, I found the perfect wool rug for my front room at Target. Then this week, that same rug is on sale for 40% off! Oh how I really want to buy that rug!! It's even harder knowing that it is seasonal and will be gone soon when they replace the Global Bazaar with their outdoor stuff. It's so hard to ignore it.


In attempts to keep my body busy and create that new and improved feeling in my home, I have been cleaning out closets and drawers organizing the messes that I
have made never assigning a place for anything after moving in. Understanding better the uses I want for our limited closet spaces. But it's not making me any happier. Yesterday, I found myself laying on the floor feeling blah. Thinking about taking a nap when I decided to make myself do something. I needed to move my front room around to perk it up and see if I could get it to feel right. The front room has never gelled for me. Thanks to some help from my neighbor friend, we pushed heavy furniture around to every possible configuration, carried a very heavy shelf up from the spare room, dug out pictures that have not been hung up and created a slightly improved space. It's a good start. I am happy to have some pictures on the wall and thinking about what pictures I would like to print out to update them.

Obviously, there are a few problems. Like the drapes being a good eight inches short or the lack of frame on the print that I taped to the wall anyway. I still need to find some matching fabric to add the length and the frame I want is $50 not including the mat. Ooo!! That means that I need to go shopping! Or, I could move the chair a few inches to the right and cover up the fact that they are way too short and spray paint the wall. And you know what would be really great in front room? That new rug from Target

2 comments:

Jess said...

Angie and I both say your house is looking great.. good job being busy, and productive! Always helps to have another freind around to help too.

Sharmyn said...

Wowie house looks really great! I can't believe you wrote on your walls and drew red arrows on your curtains though! tee hee. Love the winter pic.