Monday, December 17, 2007

My baby is one year old today!

It's hard to believe that one year ago today, Sam was born. A very round 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long healthy baby boy. You were exactly one miserable week late. I thought for sure that you would come early. I thought December 3rd was going to be your day. I had contractions for weeks. I walked and ran and jumped up and down the stairs. I couldn't sleep and was more upset as everyday past and you didn't come. I had three friends that were all due after me and each one had their baby before you. It just didn't seem fair and it felt like you were never going to be born. I just couldn't bring myself to be induced until that day sitting in the doctors office, the day after my due date, waiting for the doctor to get back from delivering a baby. I didn't like waiting. When the doctor came in, I announced that I wanted to be induced TOMORROW! I am sure I said it before he even fully entered the room. He turned and went to schedule the induction and was not able to get me in for three more days. I took it thinking that you would come on your own sometime in between. Thursday night came and you still weren't born. The hospital called to confirm and it was the wrong hospital. I was so upset! Ryan and I talked and figured if I had waited this long, I might as well give it a few more days to come on your own. I wasn't happy. That is probably the biggest understatement of my life. VaLynn was inspired and she came to my rescue. She had the kids play at her house while I talked to her and took a very long, much needed nap. The day before you born, still having regular contractions, I decided to make the most of the Christmas holiday and had fun with the kids. We went to a Christmas open house and had our faces painted, saw Santa, ate good food and played games. It was a very good day. Late that night, I called and scheduled an induction for early the next morning.

When we arrived at the hospital that morning, I was already dilated to a five and having regular contractions every 2-3 minutes. They started the pitocin and the contractions increased coming every minute. I had them turn off the pitocin after an hour and the doctor broke my water. Wow! Did that really speed things up. All of the sudden, those contractions were hard and fast they were right on top of each other. I wasn't able to get an epidural for almost an hour after that. I was thankful when it got there, but I almost missed the window for it. I was dilated to an 8 when I got it and ready to push 15 minutes later. Again, I had to wait for the doctor while he delivered another baby, but when it was my turn, it went quickly. One good contraction and push and you were born. Your sweet round face and wrinkled nose. You were frowning and had a soft baby cry. Finally here, born that cold winter morning, my easy going, content, fat little Samuel. We are so happy to have you in our family. I just can't imagine life without you.
************************************************
Oh Sammy boy-boy. You have been so happy today. It's knew it was a special day and you loved it. We celebrated your birthday twice. Once last night with Gram and Gramps, Dee-Dee and Matt and tonight with Papa and Grandma. Jake and Mia have been so excited for your birthday. They helped make a snowman cake for you and wow! You loved that cake! You dove right in and devoured that silly snowman cake causing everyone to laugh at your excitement.
We sang "Happy Birthday" to you often because it made you so happy. You beamed at us and would clap when we finished. You made us laugh at your enthusiastic dance and giggle. How could we not sing to you?
As I have watched you these past few weeks, you have grown so much. You have started to crawl and try to crawl up the stairs, you will pull yourself up to stand and have received quite a few battle wounds in the process. For your birthday, Grandma Sharon gave you a walker toy that you seem to like. Once I stood you up to it, you wanted to walk with it everywhere. It quickly became your favorite of the night.

You seem to understand what is being said to you and want to be involved. Tonight you played ball with Jake and giggled and laughed and threw the ball as much and as fast as you could. Watching my loving Jacob playing with you just because it brought you so much joy just melts my heart. I hate to see you grow up. I want to keep you just the way that you are.

Love, Mama

3 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Hapde Burfday Sam!

Jess said...

awww... Happy Birthday cute boy! Megan you forgot to mention that you didnt know he was a "he". What did you do when they told you it was a boy? how did you feel?
He always has done things on his own time... cute boy!

Dawn said...

WOW, he is one!! This year has gone by so fast! He is so cute, little fat Sam! I like him, yes I do! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU....you can sing to him for me!