Friday, May 15, 2009

Mia's Birthday

It was an eventful day for my little girl 6th birthday. First off, Ryan, Sam and I went to her school to visit for the last 20 minutes and share a poster of her favorite things. It was fun to see her in her class and I really want to watch her more to see how she interacts.
After school, we were happy to be watching Mia's friend Lauren so we all went out to McD's for a Happy Meal and some playtime on the playground.

Off to dance class. Parents were invited the last 15 minutes of class time to see what they have been working on. My oh my, does my daughter have a bit of sass to her step. Lauren loved watching them and she declared Mia the prettiest and bestest dancer of them all. How cute is she?

Somehow, I let birthday shopping get lost in the shuffle. Could it be back-to-back boutiques? Maybe. So, after running the girls back home, I had exactly one hour and fifteen minutes to find her presents. All Mia's heart desired was wedding stuff. "Wedding dress, wedding shoes, wedding jewelry, wedding thingy you put on your head and wedding make-up." Wedding dress-ups were no where to be found.
I felt like I was on Super Market Sweep running through the stores not finding my little girls dreams. Searched three stores with nothing but a pair of fancy dress up shoes. With only 20 minutes left, I dashed off to Walmart knowing that they had a wedding section. I scored a diamond tiara, a wedding veil and a bouquet of flowers. Then I checked the fabric department and they had the perfect wedding dress!! Already smocked silky white fabric with a lacy overlay. We measured the kid waiting in line to get a guesstimate for Mia (way off by the way - he was solid!) grabbed a spool of satin ribbon and ran home just in time to teach a flute lesson.

The fabric couldn't of worked out any sweeter. One french seam and the addition of satin ribbon straps, the dress was finished before dinner finished cooking. Quickly wrapped the flowers with the rest of the ribbon, I wrapped up her dream wedding for around twenty bucks. Yes folks, I feel like a superstar! Please all give me a virtual pat on the back for making my daughter a dress for her birthday in between making dinner. Never mind the simplicity of it all. It was still satin and lacy and everything nice. :) And she loves it. And to top off the wedding cake, Gram and Gramps gave her a real, very fancy crystal necklace. Her dreams were granted. Yay and phew! I am so relieved and thankful it did.


Birthday cake ended the night as she was encouraged to thank all that came and gave. She was a very happy girl and that makes all the stress of running around worth it.
Happy Birthday my little sassy Milly! I love you so much and next year, I promise that I will be prepared for your big day. xoxo- Mama

4 comments:

patti said...

That is so sweet. You are an amazing mom! I wish I had a tenth of your very fine domestic skills. I can't believe she's SIX aready. When did that happen?

patti said...

That picture of Mia will be so precious displayed somewhere on her wedding day. How sweet to have it side by side with a bridal picture!?

Ella said...

you are the most amazing mom! she is so lucky to have you! and I bet you feel the same about her!

Sharmyn said...

Awww - good mama.