Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Eight is Great!

I can't believe that my baby boy is already eight years old!! It just seems like yesterday when you were running around as a toddler. You were cautious yet busy, interested yet somewhat reserved, and excited to be a part of anything going on. You are still like that now. You love to play computer and video games, yet shy away from learning to ride your bike. You love playing with your friends. You will play hours on end with any of your little figures. Army guys, Star Wars guys, Lego guys. It's all fun for you. You work hard on setting it all up just the way that you like it. It's hard for others to get in on the action since you tend to be a bit on the bossy side. You like it how you like it!

You are doing well in school. Your teacher says that you remind her of her great-grandson. She was at your tumbling review to see her great-grandson and laughed that you two were even more alike then she thought! She is a good teacher to you. Reminding you to take your folder or one of your dozen sweatshirts and coats that get left behind. You are testing well and ahead of where you should be. You have the best little memory! You have always remembered things well. You learned your colors without us teaching you by the time you were about 18 months old. You quickly learned your alphabet and numbers and sounds before you were in kindergarten. This didn't seem much to us at the time, but as we have worked with Mia to learn her abc's and 123's, we realized how easily it came to you.


This memory of yours can be frustrating too. As a toddler, we could never distract you away from something you wanted. You remembered no matter how much we did a song and dance. Yet, as you are older, you forget simple instructions from us. Things such as "get dressed then brush your teeth" are easily distracted from and translated into "play with your toys" or "turn on the TV". I am regularly reminding you your simple routines. I wonder if it is that you just don't want to do it so it easily slips out of your mind or if you are just plain flakey? I guess time will tell.

Time does show that your enthusiam is endless. You love all things social be it school, church, or playtime. It's all play to you! You love to be the center of attention and have a lot to say! You have always been a good boy and I hope that you continue to be that way. You know right from wrong, choices and consequences, and love without conditions. I have never heard you say "If you don't do this, I won't be your friend!". You are loving to your brother and your sister even though she does annoy you. She does it on purpose you know. She loves to get your goat! She's good at it too!

You are so sweet with Sammy. I love to see you play with him and talk to him. Often, I hear you and Sam wake up before I am out of bed. You will take him out of his crib and go downstairs to play together. I love that you want to do that for him!

Today was such an exciting day for you! You were excited for school because as you said, everyone gets to make you a card and you get to make a folder to hold them in. You bounced around at home waiting for your friends to show up for your party. You ran around and giggled and showed off and played. After the party, we went to dinner and said that you could order anything that you wanted. Chicken strips and mashed potatoes with raspberry lemonade is exactly what you wanted! The waiter was reminded several times that it was in fact your birthday today and you would be looking forward to the free dessert. Too bad the dessert wasn't that good. No complaints though. That was good of you.

We came home to a gift on the porch and a visit from Papa and Grandma and fun playing with your new dart gun from your party. I am happy that you have had a wonderful day!
With all my love and kisses (because I still can!)
Mom

2 comments:

Jess said...

Happy Birthday Jakey Jake! I'm so glad you had a wonderful day!

Sarah and Jack said...

Hapde Burfday!

(Jack is the same way with that inability to be distracted from something he has made up his mind about, and it can be very frustrating.)