Ryan and I were so excited about the birth of our daughter. She was beautiful and healthy. She nursed like a champ and everything was going well accept she just did not look like the name that had picked out for her. The name, Taylor Brynn, that took months for us to agree on. I am sure that I drove Ryan nuts coming up with lists of names and he drove me nuts shooting down every single name on my list. Then he would say a few names that I did not like and I would shot his down.
On and on for months until we both liked Taylor and I loved Brynn thus Taylor Brynn. I never had a middle name and always wanted one so of course she would have one AND all my sisters had "y's"in their names and I didn't and always wanted it. This name served both purposes and put a "y" in both of her names. Darling. Cute. Done! Until she was born. After they put her on my chest and I looked at her sweet little face I knew that she was not Taylor. It did not work for her at all. I knew and Ryan knew it as well. Now what were we to do?? We obviously weren't working well together on the name game.
That next morning, I began bugging Ryan again and he went through his usual names that I tried to consider but nothing seemed right. Ryan casually said Mia. Bing!! That's right!! That's the name! That's her name!! I know it!! Oh happy day! We are going to name her Mia! But then Ryan did something horrible. He took it back. He said he didn't like it. It reminded him of somebodies last name or something. That Mia wasn't a proper name. I don't remember all the details, just the gist of it. Ick. No name.
The nurses kept telling us that we had to have a name for birth certificate and that we couldn't leave until we named her blah, blah, blah. I obsessed over naming her. Thinking of every name possible but I didn't like any of them. When I was alone with her in the hospital, I sat and called her every name in the book but nothing fit. (Doesn't that sound funny?? I called her good names - not naughty names!) I went back to Amelia several times. It seemed right to me but how to convince Ryan?
We did leave the hospital without a name. It wasn't the end of the world but we did have to do a name change on her birth certificate. "Baby Girl" as the certificate said, just wasn't quite right. Hah!
She was known as Baby Bobo for the first 4-5 weeks of her life. Yes, Bobo. Jake named her that. When I was about 4 or 5 months along, I asked Jake what we should name the baby. He innocently said "Um, Bobo?". I thought it was hilarious and it stuck! We still call her Bobo to this day. Anyway, finally after several weeks without a real name, I cried to Ryan that she needed a real name and he finally agreed that she should be Amelia. It felt so good having her officially named! It fits her and even when Jessica would give me fits of doubt about not naming her Taylor, I always came back to the same content feeling with her name. And funny to say, after all that drama, she did not get the "y" in her name and she did not get a middle name. Funny how things work, eh?
9 comments:
Your blog is so cute. That is so neat that Mia was born on mothers day. Do your care if I put your link on my blog? I'm going to try and do a card swap on my blog, check back if your interested.
I like her name, it does fit her! It is a feminine name and she needed that!
Amelia is one of my favorite names -- I have an Amelia Jane. It was hard for me to come up with, too, and it didn't fit any of our "naming criteria" either, but it was right.
Beautiful girl!
Fits of doubt? Wow, I'm pretty influential apparently............ You were having enough fits of doubt about her name all on your own sweet thing.
All is perfect. Amelia she is....
That is the cutest story!!!
M
Did you know a dutch crown-princess has the same name? It's lovely!! I love your blog too!!
A Dutch-blogreader
What an adorable family blog! Just wanted to say hi and that I enjoyed my visit here.
Oh, you should always give middle names (says a person who grew up with no middle name)
Hey, Tom here, you know the other brother. Since I haven't been around much thought I would do some catching up on your blog. Didn't know all of that with Mias name--thought it was your idea all along and you just had to fight the 'amelia bedilia' stigma! Well, gotta go do some, you know, guy stuff.
Post a Comment